Skin Care is more than just using anti aging serums, wrinkle creams and eye repair formulas, a well-rounded skincare plan is essential. And, you shouldn’t wait until your 40’s and 50’s to start thinking about it. The benefits of a healthy skin care program include retaining your skin’s youthful firmness longer, reducing fine lines and wrinkles, a more radiant, even complexion, as well as, reducing your skin cancer risk.
- The foundation of any skincare anti-aging effort is to protect yourself from the sun. There is so much evidence that the sun prematurely ages our skin that it’s essential to take precautions. Stay in the shade where you can, especially between 10 am and 2 pm, when the sun is at it’s most intense. Cover up. Long sleeved shirts, pants and wide-brimmed hats. Gloves to minimize age spots that show up on our hands and sunglasses to help with those crows feet around our eyes. Apply sunscreen to any exposed skin and make sure it’s a minimum of SPF 30 and water resistant.
- Resist the temptation to participate in indoor tanning. It’s no better for you. The ultra violet rays accelerate skin aging.
- Stop smoking. The toxins in cigarettes will give you a dull and dry complexion, makes your skin sag and creates premature lines and wrinkles.
- Eat healthy food. Fruits, vegetables, lean proteins and healthy fats will all promote healthy skin.
- Get enough sleep. It gives your body time to renew and refresh.
- Select an anti-aging skincare program formulated for your skin type. If your skin is oily, find products that work with oily skin. If you have sensitive skin, make sure the product is labeled for sensitive skin. Your basic package should include the following products at a minimum; cleanser, skin toner and a moisturizer. You want to make sure that they are hypoallergenic, is non-comedogenic or non-acnegenic (does not cause acne) and contains a consumer hotline number for any questions that may arise. Your moisturizer is the best anti-aging product in your toolkit. Just using this everyday will ensure positive results, reducing fine lines and helping your skin feel supple and youthful again.
- If you have a particular skin aging concern, such as fine lines around the eyes, skin tone discolorations etc., look for products that treat that specific issue, as no one product can treat all signs of skin aging. One size does not fit all in skin care products.
- Be realistic with your expectations. Years of sun damage and neglectful skin care habits are not going to be fixed overnight, but you can maximize the effectiveness of your anti-aging products by following the directions and any tips that are provided.